Wednesday, August 27, 2008

....And today's.

It's so quiet at work today. I love it. Almost every single attorney is out on vacation (I think there are a total of three here, out of a possible ten.) and that never happens. One of my bosses is on vacation until September 8. So sweet for me. :) I will actually be taking on a third assistant position (I assist two people right now) on September 1. Hopefully it won't upset my worklife too much, but you never know with these things. Blah blah. Can't think about it now. I still have a week left of "summer!"

I'm looking ever forward to our trip to Chicago on Friday. I'm excited to see my family, who I don't get to see nearly enough, and to have a few days to just completely relax. It's nice to relax somewhere away from your own home. If I'm home, I'm gonna cook up something (i.e. chores) to do eventually, ya know?

I'm sure there will be more than one opportunity for exercise while we're in the midwest. My mom practically has a full gym in her finished basement. She's a workout freak so she's always got the goods. I'm sure I'll wake up early and do some treadmill time or lift some weights, maybe even take a jog around the 'hood. And even though we'll be indulging in food and drink at certain meals, for sure, there's also lots of opportunity for healthy eating. Like I said, my mom's a health nut. So she's got a ton of great stuff in the house for breakfasts and lunches.

I guess I'm secretly hoping to do some shopping too. I'm in desperate need of new bras, new jeans, and new running shoes. All larger-ticket items in terms of clothing oneself. I need to make just a liiiittle more money every month. Don't we all.

My yoga class night was shitty. It was a major bummer. We all arrived and were laying out our mats when this weirdish lady walked to the front of the room and told us that the normal teacher had to be rushed to the emergency room (yikes!!) so they didn't time to find a sub, and she, the new GM of the club, was going to be "teaching" a "class" because she didn't want people to show up for class and have there not be a class. Nice of her, certainly. And I hope the normal teacher (never been to this class before so I have no idea who it is) is okay.

Niceties aside, I was a little bummed that this lady was teaching class. It wasn't a yoga class by any means, or a pilates class, or anything really other than stretching and some ab work. I had to fight not to get pissy about it the whole time. But I kept reminding myself that the whole point of taking yoga class is to relax and Be With What Is and accept your limitations, so why get all bent out of shape (literally - ha) over not having a normal class. Plus, that poor person in the emergency room. How bout a little perspective. So I tried to let it go and just enjoy what we were doing. I was craaaaaving the yoga. Especially after the PMS (minus the P) day I'd had. And the guy next to me, a BIG dude, was huffing and puffing his way through the whole hour. BUT AGAIN. I tried to let it all go and just be. It ended up being okay, of course. And. I'm a brat.

Still jonesin for the yoga though.

I went home and, as promised, made a big taco feast. I'd decided earlier on in the evening to skip the wrap portion of my burrito/taco thing and just have a big fuckin taco salad. Kevin had the wraps with his, they looked good, but once I bit into my taco salad (complete with romaine, taco meat, green and yellow peppers, onions, two kinds of salsa, brown rice, sour cream, cheese, and a few corn chips sprinkled over the top for crunch) I was in heaven. We boiled some corn on the cob to have with it and it was one of the best, most filling meals I've had in a while. (I wrapped up the leftovers and had a repeat for lunch today.) It was a protein and veggie fest, for sure.

After that, I was full but I had to have some of my baked banana oatmeal, which was, of course, tastier on day 2, with a spoonful of chocolate soy ice cream.

We watched the convention. I did some emailing and then hopped into bed shortly after that. Pooped. Tried to read, but it wasn't happening. Zzzzz.

I woke up at 6am after a totally bizarre freaky nightmare. I actually got up to pee and ended up writing down some of the dream! There were so many weird parts to it and I wanted to remember them. (Don't know why...) I was totally creeped when I woke up, but my cat, who always knows when I'm having a bad dream, was standing on the bed protecting me. :) Love that. Every time I've ever woken up from a bad dream that cat is standing right there. They are both good spirits our cats. Kev held me close too (because I woke him up to tell him I'd had a bad dream :) and I fell back to sleep eventually. Woke up late this morning. Woops.

Kev packed my lunch while I hurried to get dressed and I ended up only a few minutes late to work, luckily. The train was PACKED this morning. I think something was wrong earlier in the morning that caused the gap between arriving trains to be longer than usual because there were a ton of people waiting on the platform when I got down there.

Like I said, work has been slow today. I'm loving it. I have been able to get lots of personal stuff done and tomorrow I think I should be able to finish up some stuff and get really organized for my new boss, who starts on Tuesday.

Went for a long lunch today (maybe a bit too long? felt guilty when I came back late...) so that I could do a 40 min cardio workout. Usually only have time for 30. I ended up doing the elliptical, which was nice. Haven't done that in - years? Maybe? It was a pretty good workout! I enjoyed it. Nice to mix it up. I just didn't have the energy for a full-fledged run today.

I'm gonna go back tonight for pilates class. Then I have a 9:30pm improv show. Kevin's sister and brother-in-law will be seeing the shows tonight (Kevin and I are on separate improv teams that perform back to back on Wednesday nights) so we'll probably grab a drink (maybe just seltzer for me, we'll see - I have an annoying-as-hell headache right now) with them after the show.

I'm really hoping to get up early tomorrow and do some yoga practice on my own, which I think I can probably do from memory. And I might try to do some cardio on my lunch break. I really want to have the whole evening free tomorrow night to a.) celebrate the fact that Kevin (fingers crossed!) is shipping his project today, meaning it MIGHT be DONE (wahooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!) by going out to dinner at a local tex-mex place and b.) to tidy up and pack for our trip.

I have to work Friday morning until 1 or 2ish. Then it's off to the airport!

Might do a fridge clean out tonight. Only a few more meals left to use stuff up before we go! This is like some sick contest I have with myself. All in all I've been eating such healthy, natural, mostly organic things lately. And I'm not spending money on food from outside the house. It feels great. Somebody give me a medal. ;)

2 comments:

Emily Canady said...

I'll give you a medal ;)
Have a great time visting the family, I know I treasure the times we are all together, so great, and unfortuantely so full of food. But it sounds like you have a solid plan and a full workout room is the best :) I love it when work is slow, those are GOOD times, and yeah, I took a longer lunch today and totally felt the guilt myself, oh well, it happens.

Emily Canady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.