Thursday, September 25, 2008

So.

The last few days have been pretty bizzy. But today! Ahh, today. One of my bosses is gone, and one of the women at my job who regularly makes things crazy and stressful is gone. And neither of them is coming back until next week! Toot toot! This is great news because it's going to - hopefully - be a relaxing couple of days. I have some personal things I want to catch up on and I'm hoping to find some work time (like right now for example) to do that. And I'll also be able to catch up on some back-logged paperworky kind of stuff at work that has been pushed to the wayside lately.

Taking on a new attorney to assist at work (did I mention that this happened?) has been fine, fun at times, but certainly busy. He's a really nice guy and I'm enjoying working for him probably more than I've enjoyed assisting anyone else in my 'career' as an executive assistant. But he's still a new guy at the job, which means he has a lot of questions and calls me into his office to tell me things he doesn't realize I don't need to know or calls me on the phone to talk about something because he's thinking of it in that moment - not realizing that it's an inconvenience for me to drop everything I'm doing to talk about something that's not happening until 6 months from now, etc. etc. It comes with the territory though. And I'm lucky enough to work for a company where everyone's treated pretty equally. It's a good place to work, this firm. The people are basically nice and even though things get pretty hectic sometimes, I have a fair amount of freedom.

I'll never forget the last temp job I had before I was rehired at this job. (Quick recap - started at this law firm job right out of college, then quit to go work at NYU, then got fired from NYU for unintentionally doing something really fucking stupid, then temped for almost exactly a year - which at first seemed like it was going to be a great freeing experience, and was for a while, but ultimately ended up being a low-paying nightmare, then was rehired here.) That last temp job was easily the worst working experience I've had in my whole entire life. I was only there for a couple months, meaning it should be long gone from my consciousness now, but holy cow that place was a version of Hell if ever there was one. It was a construction company. And the executives/owners were crazy people. Yelling and screaming on the REGULAR, like I've never heard civilized people do before except in movies. Calling people names, telling people to fuck off, the turnover rate was so incredibly high you couldn't find someone who'd been there more than a year - most people left after 3 weeks. But that wasn't even what made it intolerable. It was intolerable because of this little bear of a woman who was hired while I was there to assist the main guy - a position that was offered to me but I refused (because it was a 24 hour a day job that included basically letting this guy shit on you daily). They could not keep a person in that position. And one of the three different woman who came in to fill the job, the one who insisted that this man would not get her down, she needed the paycheck and she wasn't going anywhere, was easily the scariest person I've ever worked for. Aside from literally locking me in rooms with her so she could berate me for 45 minutes at a time ("I'm not listening to any more of your dime-store psycho babble," she actually said to me one day. "You're a spoiled brat and you treat me like shit and I see you making eyes at people. You're not going to pull one over on me, young lady," she actually said to me one day.), she also took me into the bathroom with her one day while she VOMITTED UP HER TONGUE SANDWICH (yes) because she had some weird choking problem where she would occasionally eat too fast and then have to vomit. (I think the technical term for it is Eating Too Fast.) She would have me go down to the kosher deli and order her a $14 TONGUE SANDWICH. FOR BREAKFAST. Eat it fast like a little pig and then puke it up, choking and clutching her throat the whole way to the bathroom. She sobbed in front of me regularly. She told people lies about their coworkers, made racist jokes about the Asian woman at the office and the Black woman at the office. She threw things and shoved people and was actually a crazy narcissist - the list goes on and on. So, that's the really long-winded way of saying, whenever I find myself griping to myself about this job and how I wish I didn't work in an office, I try to remember that woman and how incredibly glad I am that I work here now. It's all relative, ya know?

Phew.

In other news, things are good thanks. I'm enjoying this fall weather. I love how it makes me feel when it's all crispy and cool outside and I have to bundle up with sweaters and extra blankets at night. I'm sure I'll feel very differently once it gets actually cold - I'm not a fan of the cold at all, I'm a big wuss about it - but for now, I'm really enjoying the feeling. I'm excited to drive out of the city some weekend soon and spend some time looking at the changing leaves and finding a place where we can pick apples or somethin.

My little cousin Kalan is coming to visit in a couple weeks and I'm really looking forward to having her here. I absolutely love her, she's really pleasant company and she's never been to New York before! So hopefully we'll be able to show her a good time. I already have plenty of ideas about what we'll do that weekend so that she gets a nice mix of touristy stuff and local stuff. And I'm planning a very small dinner on Sunday night so she can meet a couple of my friends. Should be really fun. Kevin likes her a lot too and he's even going to pick her up at the airport! That's something we don't really do in New York, since people just take cabs to and fro the airports, there's no sense in meeting someone there. But she's never been here before and although she's a saavy traveler, he doesn't want her to feel overwhelmed. It was his idea! So sweet of him.

I got in a quick workout on my lunch break yesterday, just 25 minutes of good, hard cardio. I tried to run but my body wasn't having it so I did the elliptical and the stairmaster (that thing is a killer - I love it). I was planning to go to yoga last night but changed my mind at the last minute in favor of a dinner date with the BF. We went to a little thai place in the Flatiron district. It was yummy and lovely and then we walked to our improv shows, which were fun. I was home in bed by midnight, having planned to go out for a drink but deciding at the last minute to go home instead. I had two rice krispie treats after our show because it was someone's birthday and I didn't want to tempt myself with more caloric "opportunities" so going to bed seemed to be the best bet. I've got to get better at that though - going out after the shows. I never go out on Wednesday nights anymore and I really should. It's fun and it's a good chance to catch up with people who I don't get to talk to that often during the week. But I always find myself, after the shows are over at 11pm, exhausted and wanting to make the smart choice of going home to bed rather than staying out late, spending money on drinks and the inevitable cab home. Wah wah wah, right?

ANYWAY, I had plans to go run this morning but that didn't happen. I'm itching for an outdoor run right now. I had such great success on Monday afternoon when I ran, I felt so fast and strong and I know I was running faster than I have in a long time. But I had to cut the run short because I had somewhere to be. So I'm eager to get back out there and try again, without time constraints.

After work tonight, I plan to go home, stopping first in Park Slope at the gym there. There's an 8:30 Hatha yoga class (I haven't taken a formal class in two weeks! gah! - just been doing it on my own. But I miss classes.) that I want to take and if I can get down there by 7:45 or so, I can get in a good 40 minute run - either outside if the weather holds up (100% chance of rain, sooo...) or inside on the treadmill. I really don't want to run on the stupid treadmill today, but I will if I have to. Either way, no matter where or how, I'm running and taking yoga class tonight. Period. I think Kevin might be joining me. We'll seeeee.

We had a last minute invite from our good friends to go to a Mets game tonight. I'd love to go but it's supposed to rain (see above). Alas. It would be fun but I definitely need a good solid workout so I think I'll have to choose that tonight instead.

And I'm hoping the debates are still happening tomorrow night because I have plans to watch them with people! Looking forward to that. Maybe I'll get a couple bottles of wine so we'll feel even more like yelling at the TV. ;)

I'm going to try to get in another quick workout on my lunch break tomorrow. Probably a light lift session and the stairmaster. I did that last week on my lifting day and it felt great.

And then Saturday will definitely be a long cardio session and hopefully another yoga class if I can squeeze it in. I have a show on Saturday night and a long rehearsal leading up to it so that will be a pretty full day.

And Sunday is gonna be a no-workout day because I'm working an event in Union Square that's going to last allll day long. 730am-5pm. Yikes! It's something called Pilates for Pink. I'll write more about it after it happens. But there's absolutely no way I'm working out after being on my feet starting at 730am, which, to me, might as well be 430am. It's EARLY!

So that's that. We're using up our groceries nicely, I'll have to make a run soon for some fill-in-the-blanks type items but otherwise we should be good to go for another week.

My 6 year ww anniversary is on Saturday. Holy cow I can't believe. I'll have some interesting stats to put up later today with regard to that....Until then!

No comments: