Thursday, July 31, 2008

So. Yesterday's goal of no/low sugar during the day was a success. I won't say I wasn't tested at a few points, but I'm proud to say I got through each of the trials without caving and I'm glad I did. I think it made yesterday a relatively low point consumption day, as opposed to a high one.

I had a banana, organic peanut butter, and multi-grain toast for breakfast. Then for lunch I had a hummus/veggie sandwich and a few potato chips. Then there were Milano cookies out at work. Oof. Now, luckily I'm not a huge Milano freak. Other Pepperidge Farms cookies, forget it, but Milano don't really do it for me. So I was able to avoid them. But I still WANTED one, big time. But then I thought about how I would usually just grab one and add it to my points tally for the day, but how I know that just that one cookie is probably the cause of my late afternoon hunger spiking hard and leaving me desperate for some more sweet snacks. So it was nice to have that awareness since I chose not to eat the cookie.

Then I left work to go do an improv show. And I was hungry on the way there and knew I needed some fuel to get through to dinner. I almost got a sweet at Starbucks. I thought, ah, fuck it. And almost got one. And then I thought, what the hell are you doing? Just get through one day! So I walked right out of there. I finally, after way too much deliberation, decided on an apple and some pistachios as a snack. Filling. I did my show and was RAVENOUS an hour later. Sometimes I feel like a bottomless food pit.

I went to Chipotle and got a burrito bol with just a little rice, beans, chicken, salsas, a smidge of sour cream, and a smidge of cheese. I had a tummy ache when I was done eating it probably because I ate it too fast and also because I waited too long to have dinner. But when I got home, I laid down and drank some water and felt a bit better.

I was a little hungry before bed so I had some popcorn, which was good and filling, and a had a tiny little bit, less than half a cup, of chocolate ice cream! And I made sure the ice cream was just milk, sugar, cream, eggs, and cocoa. I didn't want all kinds of weird chemicals. It was tasty and just the right amount.

So I'd say all in all I did pretty well.

I'm gonna try it again today - no sugar throughout the day - a treat at the end of the day if I think I can handle it without it opening the door toward more snacking.

I had another banana, toast and organic PB breakfast today. I just had some chicken, brown rice, black beans, and guac over lettuce for lunch. I had some chips I probably didn't need, but I'll live. I'm gonna go for a run on my lunch break today so hopefully that will work some of my lunch off.

Dinner tonight will be light. Kev and I are going to see Batman for the second time with Daniel tonight so I'm hoping to get something small and healthy for dinner and then have a sweet treat and/or a little bit of popcorn at the movie.

I DID just have a diet coke with lunch, something I rarely do, that I hope won't upset my sugar plan. I know there's no sugar in diet coke but there's a shitload of other weird unnecessary stuff that my body does not need or want. I'll have some fruit this afternoon as a snack if I'm starving after my workout.

It all seems like the right thing to do. But I really just wish I could eat a pie and not have to think twice about it. A cherry pie? With vanilla ice cream? Shut up, Jen.

1 comment:

JessiferSeabs said...

YOu did good!!! One day at a time is definitely the right attitude. Sometimes, that's the only way I can get through ANYTHING.

As to the diet coke... there is all sorts of research being done right now, testing whether or not the body reacts the same way to fake-sugar as it does to real-sugar in terms of insulin release, etc. So there's no CALORIES in diet coke, but it still might kinda fuck your shit up, yo.