Monday, July 28, 2008

Warning - lady stuff ahead!!

Started my period this afternoon. It's amazing how I was in instant agony, could barely stand up straight, felt so incredibly exhausted and drained and like I couldn't keep my eyes open, and then after popping two advil (which always saves me), I could literally feel them kicking in 20 minutes later and the pain began to dissipate. There's still a dull ache. And I could easily fall asleep standing up. But the fierce pain is gone. Fascinating, the body. Just fascinating.

Oof. I would love to go home right now, crawl into bed, and spend the rest of the day there. Zzzzzzouch.

I had an okay weekend. I did end up eating more crappy food than I'd planned to. Three straight days of not-the-best choices. Friday night we had friends over for homemade pizza and cheap wine. It was YUMMY and the pizzas turned out so delicious and the wine felt so nice. But I certainly ate more than I needed and I was STUFFED at the end.

Then Saturday night, after a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch and club soda at the bar after my HST show, Kev and I went home to relax together and I ended up over-snacking. I had some chips, some focaccia bread, an apple, some more chips, some almonds, and then a cookie and some soy ice cream! Whuut! I'm sure what has now revealed itself as PMS had a lot to do with it. And also think I was just feeling lazy and irresponsible and like I didn't want to think about it, I just wanted to eat yummy stuff. No big deal, but not the best decision.

And Sunday, of course, was no better. I did get in a quick workout, just some pilates, before we met up with friends at a local bar. So that was a mini-victory. Our day in the park/sports in the park got rained out! Boo. So everyone agreed to go to a Brooklyn bar instead and spend the day drinking and hanging. This particular bar has bocce ball courts inside! So that was really cool. And the environment overall was pretty neat too. I had four beers, some veggie spring roll type thing, and the most delicious chili-cheese dog. Now, that sounds terrible, and it wasn't great in terms of nutrition, but it wasn't some greasy nasty thing. It was actually more of a "foodie" type chili-cheese dog. The bun and the dog were smaller than usual and definitely good quality, and the chili and the cheese were only a dollup on top, not slathered all over. It was so incredibly tasty. THEN we went with friends later on to a nearby burger joint that's supposed to have the best burgers. And Kev and I split a burger and some hot wings! Yowch! Now, I will claim the fact that we shared the food another small victory, and I only had a few wings and a little less than half the burger (and no fries! Yes!) but I still couldn't believe all the junk foods I'd eaten and it wasn't even dark out yet. To the junk foods' credit, they were probably organic junk foods, prepared without trans-fat and with whole, local ingredients. Because it was in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and that's how they do in those parts. And I actually don't feel that shitty today, beyond the menstruation of course. So that's pretty good.

I had a good week of exercise. I got in 5 workouts (3 running, 2 strength) I'm sure the scale will be up tomorrow for weigh-in from PMS and from my weekend of caloric indulgence, but that's fine. I've been making good progress lately and I know I look better. I also feel good. I'm hoping it will be just a few days of healthy eating/working out to get it back to normal.

I'm debating whether or not to go to the gym on my lunch break today. I got some new workout clothes (couldn't BELIEVE how long it had been since I sprang for new bras and gym pants...like...years...) that I'm excited to don and a good cardio session might feel really good for my cramps. But I also just feel like it might be an unecessary task in the middle of my day. Who am I kidding, I'm probably gonna go. Day before weigh-in, bad eating weekend, I'm probably gonna go. But UGH! ;)

In other news, Kevin and I made some excellent progress on the apartment this weekend that seems to have brought us very near completion in terms of getting me all moved in and getting the place back to a normal state. It looks so amazing. We're both so pleased with it. It's finally our home, together. And it's so adorable to see our stuff all mixed up, hanging out. It looks really homey and comfortable and relaxing in there and that's exactly how we both love it to be.

Kevin is so awesome because he spent his whole day on Friday cleaning up while I was at work. We were having friends over on Friday night and we had set that as a sort of goal-date for ourselves to get things mostly in place. And another friend of ours was relieving us on Friday of a matress that had been laying in the middle of the living room, so it was the perfect time to finish getting organized. We did some work on Thursday night but there was still a lot to do - laundry of various linens, finding an organized home for said linens, lots of counter wiping down and dusty bunny retrieval to be done, a bunch of little odds and ends like our various shoes that were scattered all over the place needing a home and stuff that was just generally in disarray needing attention. Well my delightfully evolved boyfriend went above and beyond, getting the place in GREAT shape for our get together on Friday night. I was so pleased and thrilled and it was such a huge relief and I know how much there was to do, so I know how long it must have taken him. He's seriously the best.

We went to Target on Saturday, he didn't really want to go but he was a good sport about it. We some new stuff for the apartment that we had fun picking out - new glasses and dishware - and some small furniture for the bathroom. And we put it together on Sunday morning, which was also a fun little project.

So beyond having to hang up some artwork and find homes for a few more things, the place is basically done. And it feels really lovely. We've really been enjoying it and the adorable cats, who are getting along famously at this point (barring some occasional fighting that is totally normal, apparently, because they're boys and they desire to beat the shit out of each other from time to time), seem to be really happy also. It's great living together. Much better than commuting between two half-lived-in apartments.

In some ways, I feel like my summer vacation has just begun. I have five Saturdays in a row without an HST show and I'm just thrilled for the time off. I plan to go to the beach, to museums, out to dinner, etc. Not having to worry about being somewhere between 7:30-10:30 on a Saturday night is going to change my life. Maybe I'll just get drunk on margaritas at 12noon this Saturday. Because fuck it! I can!

;)

1 comment:

Emily Canady said...

I don't know it sounds like you had a pretty good weekend if you ask me. Lots of good stuff mixed in with the food stuff. It happens, I mean, life happens and yeah, menstration happens, which happened to me ironically enough as well. Anyhow, I too need to continue to buy new workout clothes, its amazing how shabby they get and how awesome new stuff makes you feel. It actually does motivate you to want to workout.

Anyhow, even if you're up tomorrow, who cares, you have been making great progress all around.