Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I don't know what I need. A nap? A hug? To lay around and watch The Princess Bride?

Yesterday when I was running at the gym I actually happened upon the last tenish minutes of The Princess Bride, which is my favorite movie of all time. The last tenish minutes are excellence, as are all the other minutes, but the last tenish are bliss. Everything happens! When Inigo finally kills The Count, when Westley and Buttercup reunite, when Westley threatens Prince Humperdinck with his "to the pain" speech. Gold.

I've realized that a great deal of my concepts about true love, romance, friendship, and fighting people with swords come from that movie. When I was a kid I watched it on repeat for probably about six months straight. So, like Saved by the Bell and ALF, it really molded a lot of my values and ideals. What that mostly means is that I'm going to expect my future husband to almost-die and then come back to life and rescue me by storming a huge medieval castle. With a giant.

p.s. I love every dress Buttercup wears in this movie. Every single one. Shutup.

2 comments:

[] said...

My all-time favorite movie!

Anonymous said...

harris did that, too, with that movie.