Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I'm a fan of life, generally. And I try to surround myself with people who feel the same. But regardless, it often gets in the way of my best-laid plans to eat well and exercise.

My friend Emily, who actually just returned to blogging about healthy-living after a hiatus, had this very experience this past weekend. A new baby was welcomed into her family - very exciting - and she spent several days with her family enjoying the celebration. And of course, there was food. Naturally, everyone can relate to this. Part of the social and cultural experience of being alive involves eating and drinking with your friends and family. Food is so incredibly yummy and makes people feel so good, of course we'd want to gather in groups to consume it and of course when we're in groups, we're going to figure out ways to consume it together.

(Incidentally, Emily was the first blogger I ever read. She had a weight loss blog before practically anybody did - at least that's what I experienced in my small frame of reference. She was a huge inspiration for a lot of people when she first started her blog, which documented her weight loss journey. She had a ton of success, lost a ton of weight, and totally transformed her whole life. I definitely know at least a dozen women who began blogging about their weight loss because Emily did it first. She rules.)

So, today is Tuesday, my weigh-in day. I haven't weighed-in because my scale is dead. Gah! The battery, a lithium one, is yet again drained. I swear I'm running through these lithium batteries like it's my job. And they aren't cheap. What scales do you guys use? Do the batteries go quickly? I need to reinvest, I think.

Anyway, this past week was not awful, nor stellar. Pretty middle of the road. There was a lot of little stuff going on - I did four shows, we went to a birthday party, saw a live show, it was super warm this weekend, etc. etc. Lots of tempting reasons to eat and not exercise.

I didn't exercise nearly as hard as I had the week prior. I still got in four workouts, and two of them were nice long runs, but it was not nearly as much exercise as I'd hoped for. I hope to improve that this week. Now that I'm back in the running groove, hopefully the workouts themselves will be more effective even if the time spent isn't quite as long.

I definitely encountered several eating hurdles. Or, more accurately, drinking hurdles. I went out for drinks on Wednesday after an improv show, Friday after an improv show, and Saturday for Katie's birthday. I didn't drink TOO much - just wine and a couple gin and sodas one night, but it was still much more than I'm used to. I also went with some friends to see a comedy show on Sunday night (incidentally, Sunday was 4/20, so there was some mindless eating in that regard as well) and the restaurant we went to (thank you, Sarah, that place was awesome) had such a huge menu with lots of good lookin' shit on it. And I got something yummy and didn't look back.

I don't really know what the scale's saying right now - I haven't been on it in a few days due to the battery fiasco. It was down earlier in the week, but who can say. But I kinda like that I don't know. Because now I can just judge my past week based on my actions, not on a number.

So, overall, okay exercise, but I didn't have enough time to get in what I really wanted to get in. And okay food. I need to go easy on the sweets and limit the alcohol this week. I'm not a big drinker as it is, so I don't mind avoiding it this week. A little sugar detox, if you will.

I will say, though, that I had several salads this week, which I hardly ever do. It was nice and warm outside, I was needing veggies, so I got salad. Then I got it again and again. I'm enjoying it and am going to try to start making them from home (to save the $10 a pop). So that is definitely a good thing. More veggies = always best.

Oh and I went over flex by about 30 this week. Not the 10 I'd hoped for. And not the 24 over I did last week. But not that 42 over I've been known to do either. Fine. I"ll just keep fucking plugging away. Grrr.

I'll try to get a battery (or a new scale) in the next few days. In the meantime, I'm thrilled it's a "new" week for me. It always brings so much possibility with it. I hope to get in four cardio sessions, some lifting and pilates, and I'll keep working to get that flex number closer to ZERO. Nothing too difficult is in the books right now for the week ahead, in terms of food. We are going to a BBQ on Saturday (hi, jeff) but I have a feeling there will be plenty of healthy things to eat. BBQs are usually good like that. :)

2 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

YOu can add me to that list of people who came to be a blogger via Em's blog. She was one of my biggest inspirations!

Welcome back to the blogosphere, Em!

Emily Canady said...

Ah, Jen, you flater me way to much. I may have started writing stuff first but so many other ladies are just huge inspirations. I'm glad your still around girl, its nice to come back and check up on you and still feel connected to some of my friends. Just so you know, your perserverance and commitment to keep on plugging along inspires me!!!