Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Another reason I love this town.

So, even though today's weigh-in day, I haven't weighed. Didn't weigh last week either. I'm doing the same as always on my plan - exercise and eating wise, pretty consistent. But my stupid scale is dead. And the lithium battery it takes is HARD TO FIND GRRR.

I did well last week - pretty standard. Over flex by 20 something, worked out 4 times. My goal this upcoming week is to eat less and move more. Shocking.

I'd like to get in more cardio this week. I think I can manage that. I took a tiny break from lifting a week or so ago, like two extra days off, and when I returned to lifting, my muscles were MAD and sore. So that was kinda cool. I love feeling like I've worked hard.

I do have something excellent to report, though, for which I have the city of New York to thank. I'm not actually sure if this is just a new NYC ordinance or if it's a state-wide thing or what. Regardless, it's awesome. They've recently passed a law requiring all chain restaurants (so, fast food places, but also places like Starbucks, AuBonPain, Cosi, you get the idea) to POST THE CALORIC CONTENT OF EVERY ITEM ON THEIR MENU IN A LOCATION IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE TO THEIR PATRONS. And so most places have taken to putting this information right on the menu, right next to each food item. And a lot of places even put the info on, for example, the little sign sticking out of the pile of cookies for sale on the counter. It will say "Chocolate Chunk Cookie 450 calories."

That, my friends, is BLISS for a weight watcher. BLISS.

IT'S BLISS.

When I first heard they were planning to pass this law, I thought, "Oh cool, but also, not really gonna affect me THAT much. I mean, I basically already know the caloric content, give or take, for every food on planet earth. It might be nice to have a reminder, though." AU CONTRAIRE. How mistaken I was! This lovely new detail (albeit, arguably, governmental interference in private life but who gives a fuck do you want to be fat all your life?) has actually saved me on now three separate occasions since the law went into affect a couple weeks ago.

1. I was at AuBonPain in the morning trying to grab something for breakfast. I was in a rush and nothing sounded good AND I wanted something warm because it was chilly outside. I hate having to make a healthy decision when I'm in a rush and I don't have all the information, so I was a little stressed. I was standing in front of the warm filled crossiants, about to grab some weird breakfast quesadilla thing, when I glanced up at the sign above the case that and saw the calories were listed right next to the sandwiches. I died from joy. The breakfast quesadilla I was about to grab, thinking I was making the best possible choice, actually contained THREE TIMES the calories as the lowest item on the list, which was the spinach and cheese filled croissant and which, for the record, was only 250 calories. AND IT IS DELICIOUSSSSSSSSSS. I never would have chosen the crossiant if I hadn't had the information. And I'm so glad I did. I've gotten it twice more for breakfast since then and it's so yummy and tastes sinful but ISN'T that bad!! Unreal.

2. Kevin and I had just gotten out of a movie. We were exhausted and starving and we went across the street to Cosi to get some takeout sandwiches before heading home to crash. We opened the takeout menu to discover that all the calories were listed right next to each item. I died from joy. I was beside myself over it. Kevin can attest. It was really sort of ridiculous how happy it made me. But the reason I was so excited was because I didn't have to stand there, brain-drained, weighing all the different options in my mind, considering what I wanted verses what sounded the healthiest verses which items had the restaurant's little symbol for "lighter fare," etc. etc. I could just look at the caloric content, choose the lowest calorie sandwich from the list, make sure I liked what was in it, and order it UP! (I should mention that I also discovered that the items that bared the "lighter fare" symbol, which is a symbol this particular restaurant used well before this calorie law was in place, weren't the items that were the lowest in calorie! In fact, some of them were extremely high calorie! So, I guess "lighter fare" refers to fat grams? Fat grams, which have nothing to do with anything weight control related. What is this, 1989?) I also learned that the spinach artichoke dip, which is very tasty from this place, is surprisingly low in calories (150!) when I never before would have considered ordering that on a healthy night. Kevin and I also learned that this weirdo nasty looking "healthy" granola bar thing they had for sale at the counter was the same fucking calorie amount as the GIANT chocolate chip cookie or the amazing looking chocolate brownie. Come ON! This is info everyone needs to have!!! Who doesn't want a giant cookie?!

3. I went to AuBonPain again today for lunch and chose a cheese/fruit dish that seemed high calorie to me but was actually lower calorie than the other option I was considering. This anecdote isn't as exciting as the previous two.

Now, I recognize that calorie amount is not the be-all end-all of healthy eating. And I also recognize that just because something is low in calories doesn't mean it's not filled with toxic chemicals or doesn't mean it's not extremely high in sugar or trans fat (which is also banned in NYC restaurants, btw). So it's certainly not a blanket solution to unhealthy food consumption. But having the calorie information in front of me when I'm making a food choice is still a welcome piece of information. When I'm deciding what to order, I still consider the type of food (i.e. protein, dairy, carb, veggies) and how much fiber I would imagine it has, and whether or not it's made from natural ingredients or filled with preservatives. I would be in healthy-living HEAVEN if they provided all that info at every restaurant. But they don't. And they probably won't. So having only the calorie information as a guide is a good start as far as I'm concerned.

Obesity is such an epidemic in this country (in NYC, not so much at all, which makes this calorie rule sort of ironic, but I'm not complaining), knowing more information about the food you're eating is an awesome step in the right direction.

2 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

As if I didn't already love NYC enough, this is just the icing on the cake.

Here's to hoping I get to experience it sometime this summer when I am calling on vendors... and then, my dear, I can also meet YOU!

Emily Canady said...

That is totally cool and should definately be something that must happen nationally. With the whole weight thing being the way it is for America you'd think that everyone should be forced to lay it all out there. And its shocking how the things that you think would be healthier choices often aren't, but who would really know unless they tell you they actually fried that bread in a lard of fat before adding the light mayo and turkey to it. NYC seems to be ahead of the game, so here's to hoping everyone else catches up soon.